The Rose garden is a tribute to the original rose garden laid out by Miss Alice de Rothschild.
Miss Alice de Rothschild inherited the estate from her brother Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild when he died in 1898. She was a keen gardener, notorious for her uncompromising 'standards' both in the garden - and also the House.
Created in 2000 near the Aviary garden, it is planted with 600 roses supplied by David Austin Roses. A wide range of shrub roses have been planted, from English roses that make up nearly half of all the varieties, to Gallicas, chosen for their perpetual flowering, scent and colour.
In pride of place is the 'Miss Alice' rose. Launched in July 2000 to mark the opening of the garden, it has a true Old Rose character - a beautiful soft pink paling towards the edges, with a lovely scent that hints of lily of the valley. Unlike most roses, it holds a neat and compact shape.
Benches are dotted around the garden, so do take a moment to sit, relax and admire the lovely scents and colours.